Sunday, February 28, 2010

Picture Book Marathon: Mile 22-26 (Week 4)

The Finish Line!
They say after you run a marathon, it'll change your forever.  You begin to realize that you are capable of doing anything you put your mind to.  Well I did it.  I completed my first picture book marathon!  From this experience, I learned that no matter how busy I am, I can always find time to write.


The picture book marathon consumed my mind every waking moment.  Throughout the day I found myself thinking about potential stories- ideas, characters, setting, conflicts, etc.  I found myself writing every minute that I can-- during my lunch break, for a few minutes when I get home from work, while waiting in the parking lot for my kids to get out of school, while waiting between sporting events, while the kids are doing their homework, and in the wee hours of the night after the kids are put to bed.  When I am not writing, I am thinking about what to write.  Not a single minute of the day was wasted.

Now that my marathon is over, I feel somewhat empty.  It's like I have so much time on my hands...yah, right!    Anyway, after completing a marathon, experts say that rest and recovery time are very important.  So, that's exactly what I plan to do...REST!

Of the 26 stories that I had written, I think that 6 of them have the potential to be great picture books.  The next days will be spent typing all 26 stories...that is, if I can read my own "chicken scratch."  Then I will work on the stories that have potential and go through the usual editing and revision process.

I hope to one day win the GOLD medal (a book contract)!  Until then, I will keep on running...uh, I mean writing!

~Romelle
  (a.k.a. running-girl)



******
Follow me as I write my way through the Picture Book Marathon:
Picture Book Registration
Picture Book Marathon: Mile 1-6
Picture Book Marathon: Mile 7-14
Picture Book Marathon: Mile 15-21
Picture Book Marathon:  The Finish Line

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...