Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Picture Book Marathon: Mile 15-21 (Week 3)

Mile 20 is when most marathoners figuratively hit "the wall."  You'll hear it often said, "I've hit the wall."  This is when your body and mind weakens and you feel as if you can no longer move forward or go further.


In my picture book marathon,  I hit the wall.  I found myself paralyzed with writer's block.  My mind wasn't able to squeeze out any story ideas I could write to completion with a beginning, middle, and an end.  All that stared at me was a blank notebook.  My lead pencil made contact with the paper, but it didn't move.  I switched my writing instrument to a glittery pink pencil with a purple flower eraser attached to the top hoping it would inspire me.  It, too, didn't move.

So what did I do?  I looked elsewhere for inspiration.  I turned to my favorite authors for support and immersed myself in books like, HARRY THE DIRTY DOG, OLIVIA, and WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE for motivation.  I also visited the Picture Book Marathon website and turned to fellow marathoners for encouragement and support.  It's great to know that I wasn't alone.


“To the soul, there is hardly anything more healing than friendship.” 

-Thomas Moore


I went back to my pencil and notebook and scribbled.  Next thing I knew, my scribbles turned into words. My words were forming sentences.  My sentences turned into paragraphs.  I found myself back on track.  And the thought of being that much closer to the finish line, gave me a second wind.  Only 5 more miles (stories) to go!

This week's stories:
Mile 15:  A Heart is...
Mile 16:  Karmen Chameleon
Mile 17:  Karmen Chameleon Helps a Friend
Mile 18:  The Valentines Gift
Mile 19:  Baby Girl
Mile 20:  Chocolate!
Mile 21:  What's In The Box?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...