Saturday, February 20, 2010

Picture Book Marathon: Mile 7-14 (Week 2)

Mile 7-14.  This is the part of the marathon when I start to slow down.  The race becomes mentally challenging. As with my writing, I have slowed down my pace.  I'm on vacation so my trip has been packed with activities.  By evening, my body is beat and my mind is tired. Fortunately, I had enough fuel (story ideas) to sustain me.  I have to remind myself to keep going- one foot after the other, one story at a time.

I remember when I signed up for my first (running) marathon.  I signed up for the Honolulu Marathon.  I figured that if I was going to suffer running 26.2 miles, I might as well suffer in paradise!  My thought was that the beautiful scenery would keep my mind from the suffering I would have to endure.

Coincidentally, I am writing my first picture book marathon in Honolulu.  But the scenery has proven counterproductive for me.  It's distracting me from my writing.  You'd think the beauty of Hawaii would give me inspiration.  Instead,  it has turned my mind into mush as I wonder into "la-la land."

Sunset at Ko'olina beach resort

A rainbow at Ala Moana Beach Park

Rain can't ruin this view at Haleiwa Beach

My view for most of my trip- looking up for inspiration...

My stories this week-
Mile 7:  An Alligator At My Homework!
Mile 8:  Running Boy's Bedtime Dream
Mile 9:  Little Miss Sunshine
Mile 10: Running Boy Can't Run
Mile 11: I Would Never Do That!
Mile 12: I Don't Think So!
Mile 13: Emily Sparkle
Mile 14: The Big Mouth Bull Frog

Half way through the marathon- WooHoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...