Sunday, November 6, 2011

It’s Picture book Idea Month (PiBoIdMo)!

It’s that time of year again- The Picture Book Idea Month, otherwise known as PiBoIdMo, created by Tara Lazar.   The concept is to create 30 picture book ideas in 30 days.  By the end of November, I will have a list of ideas to help inspire me throughout the year.  As I write this, I am on my 7th story idea.

Participating in this project is valuable for me.  It encourages me to keep my creative mind active.  What more, it prepares me for February’s Picture Book Marathon, hosted by Jean Reagan and Lora Koehler.  

During the Picture Book Marathon, participants write a full picture book story- 26 stories during the month of February.  The PiBoIdMo gives me a head start in this race.  All I have to do is bring my IDEAS to life in a form of a picture book (easier said than done).

Jed Henry, an illustrator and guest blogger on Tara Lazar’sblog, wrote:  “You never know what an editor will like.  So it pays to have a whole arsenal of books to show off.” 

In order for me to find my GEM, I must keep on writing.  Writing on a daily basis will help me hone my craft as a writer.  But for this month, I’ll be working on ideas. 

My idea consists of a title, a main character, a setting, a conflict, and resolution.  If inspiration strikes me, I may even list 3 ways my mc tries to solve his/her problem.  It’s usually listed in outline form.  For a concept story, I have down a main character, what I’d like to see in the beginning and in the end (result/change).   

Used with permission from Debbie Ridpath Ohi at Inkygirl.com.

Seven story ideas, 23 more to go... I’d better get busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...