Monday, March 18, 2013

Children's Festival of Reading & BOOKMARKS!

Look what I've been busy with...


I finally made bookmarks for my eBook, Casey Chameleon, published by Flying Books, 2012 AND a website (still in a work-in-progress)! I've been thinking about doing this for a while now. I have to thank Donna Martin for giving me the push. More on Donna later. But first, a little about my bookmarks: 

Making the Bookmarks
I went with Gotprint.com from the recommendation of the lovely ladies at the Children's Book Hub.

Here's the lowdown:
Specs: 2 x 8 bookmarks, gloss on both sides, rounded corners, economy shipping
Quantity: 250 bookmarks
Cost: $39.36

Quality: Excellent

I recommend them.  If you are comparison shopping, another company I recommend is Overnight Prints. I requested their free samples and I was impressed. They cost a tad bit more, but they offer sales on occasion and when they do, their prices are comparable. 

As for the design, I recommend Alison K. Hertz. She designed a number of our picture book author's bookmarks and postcards. I happened to design my own before I knew of Alison's services. Since I spent hours on it, I didn't want to throw my hard work away. I think it came out pretty good considering I did it myself. On a writer's budget, sometimes you have to go DIY.

Childlren's Festival of Reading
The Children's Festival of Reading is coming up on May 18, 2013 in Knoxville, Tennessee and Donna Martin is hosting a booth.  She is offering a free giveaway for the over 15, 000 families that will be attending.  Donna has graciously opened up her project to our writing community to help us promote our books in the hopes of instilling the love for reading. It's a win-win situation! 

"Proceeds from the festival will benefit Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, which fights against illiteracy by donating free books every month to children ages NB to 5-years-old."

I couldn't find gummy chameleons so the lizards should suffice
Since I have an eBook, I can only handout autographed bookmarks with a QR code directing readers to my publisher's site. I am in the process of working out a way to offer the eBooks for free for a limited time or quantity.  I'll let you in on the details as soon as I figure it out.   

In the meantime, I am on my way to the post office to mail the bookmarks with gummy treats to Donna. The Children's Festival of Reading is a wonderful event. I wish I could be there.

If you are interested in donating to the festival, visit Donna Martin for more information!


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauri! Now on to working on critiques...

      Delete
  2. Hi Romelle! Thanks for the shout-out about my booth at the Children's Festival of Reading. I can't wait to hand out those cute bookmarks...the kids will go nuts for the gummy lizards! What a great idea...

    Donna L Martin
    www.donnalmartin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! It's such a great project. I really wish I could be there to enjoy the festival.

      Delete
  3. They look WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I have to thank my illustrator, Lydia, for her nice artwork.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea to use bookmarks to direct people to your ebook. I'll have to remember that. I'm also looking for a good printer for postcards so thanks for the tips. By the way, Casey Chameleon is really cute; I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be happy with both printers. The quality is very good! I am most proud of the QR code because I am not techie in any way, but there are so many great sites that make it easy.

      Delete
  5. Oh, those bookmarks are so bright and colorful! They look wonderful! I like how there's front and back printing, too. Plus, you've got that nifty code in the back to link to your book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Romelle...awesome bookmarks...you did a wonderful job! And such a smart idea with the gummy lizards.

    When my book came out, my daughter-in-law designed my bookmarks and we ordered a ton of them...she had a connection with some company and got me a great price...I decided on glossy and they came out beautifully...but, if I had to do it over again, I would probably do a matte finish so that I could sign them...haven't found a pen that can write on the glossy surface.

    Good for you for sending the bookmarks to Donna for the Reading Fair...I sent her a copy of Show Me How...I know that last year her booth was a terrific success! It's a great cause and she is super for including us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivian, I like the look of glossy. I used a sharpie ultra fine point permanent marker. It didn't smear. Give it a try!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...