Thursday, February 2, 2012

Planting Seeds

Merriam-Webster defines idea as a 1: formulative thought, 2: plan of action, 3: visible representation of a conception.
I like to call my ideas seeds. These are seeds that I will plant in my right brain. It’s my desire to help my seeds grow by providing it with plenty of thought, heart, and soul. And one day, my idea will flourish into a wonderful picture book.

You’ve heard the famous quote by Eleanor Roosevelt:
“Poor minds talk about people. Average minds talk about events. Great minds talk about ideas.”
I’d like to take this quote a step further by adding that “Exceptional people do something with their ideas- they make it a reality.”

And that’s why I am participating in the 12 Picture Books in 12 Months in 2012 (12 x 12 in 2012) hosted by Julie Hedlund. In previous years, I've participated in the Picture Book Marathon. But I thought I'd give the 12 x 12 in 2012 a try. Why wait until 2013 when I can write: 12 x 12 in '12. It's more fun! Plus, I'm being real. I'm only one month into the year and I'm already busy. Writing a picture book a month for 12 months just seems more doable for me, right now, than 26 picture books in 29 days.

In any case, my pariticipation will give me the opportunity to do something about the ideas I came up with during the PiBoIdMo (Picture Book Idea Month) event. 12 x 12 in 2012 will challenge me to turn all my ideas into a story.

I know this is not going to be easy. Melissa Conroy, author and illustrator, said it best:
"... ideas can be easy to come by, but not always easy to turn into a working story."
I have my list of ideas ready, now the challenge begins. All I need is a sharpened pencil, my notebook, a cup of tea, and a clear mind. Let's write!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...