But let's go over the advantages and disadvantages of each one, shall we? I decided to include the advantages and disadvantages of using a computer, since I know I can't get away without a discussion on that one. I know many of you embrace technology and don't even use a pen/pencil and paper anymore.
Advantages of a pen
- It flows smoothly as you write, making writing feel like dancing.
- You can see your print much better than the fading color of grey.
- It gives you the impression of confidence.
Disadvantages of a pen
- It is permanent so if you make mistakes, you'll have scribbles all over your paper.
- If you are writing while laying on your back, you risk losing ink.
- If you are heavy-handed, the ink may penetrate or leave an impression on the other side, thus causing a distraction on the following page.
Advantages of a pencil
- Nothing like the raw feeling of pencil on paper. The contact between paper and pencil give off a scratchy sound of productivity.
- If you make a mistake, you can erase what you've written. Thus, keeping your paper a little neater.
- The writing on back of a sheet will not bleed through or see through so it will not be distracting.
Disadvantage of a pencil
- If you break a tip and you don't have a sharpener handy, you're out of luck unless you have a spare pencil on hand.
- You risk marking the inside of your bag or whatever it is you carry your pencil in unless you have a pencil cap on.
- When you want to make changes, it's as easy as pressing a (delete) button.
- No messy paper to deal with.
- It's automatically saved in your system.
- Saves you a step from having to retype what you've written.
Disadvantages of using a computer
- You have to lug around your laptop.
- If you don't have a laptop, you have to wait until you get to one. So if inspiration strikes you, you're out of luck unless you have a paper and pen handy.
- It's not always assessable.
So there you have it. Which do you prefer to use when creativity strikes you? Please take my poll.