Friday, October 2, 2009

THE DIGITAL AGE OF PICTURE BOOKS


There has been a buzz about story apps for use on iPhones. These story apps are picture books provided by companies such as:
Mobi-stories
PicPocket Books
Winged Chariot Press
iStoryTime
The idea behind children’s books on iPhone is that children can enjoy stories on the go. Parents can opt for self-narrating stories and choose a child or an adult narrator (feature offered by select publishers).
I like the idea of having a picture book accessible on a small device. It eliminates the bag of books I would need to haul around with me. The other advantage is if the child is too young to read, I can select the self-narrating option and have my iPhone read to my child if I am in the predicament of needing a last-minute babysitter. This makes it hands-free for the parent. Of course, I prefer the weight, size, and smell of a book when I’m reading a bedtime story. However, when I am away on errands, a small device is great. And I’d rather have my child read a book than play a game.
I’ll have to admit, though, that my first reaction to hearing about this new concept for children is, “who would let their 2-6 year-old child handle their phone?” My question is not if the toddler is capable of using the device; it is whether or not they would be able to use it without breaking or dropping the $100 to $300+ phone.
I wondered if parents had the same concern. Because this would greatly affect the success of story apps.
Because of the highly anticipated surge of storybook apps, I’ve decided to do my own research and poll my family and friends. I have 3 basic questions:
  1. Do you own an iPhone?
    1. If yes- would you allow a child between the ages of 2-6 use it?
    2. If no- if you had one, would you allow a child between the ages of 2-6 use it?
  1. What is the youngest age you would allow the child to handle your iPhone?
  2. Would you be willing to purchase a storybook app for $1.99 for use on your iPhone by your child? (Please comment)
So, this is my project for the next month. I will get back to you with my research results.
Update as of 6/14/10:  Here are the poll results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...